January 2, 2013

I Have a Voice

Happy New Year!

Hard to believe it's 2013. Between work and shopping and eating and drinking and road-tripping and celebrating, the holidays flew by in a hit-fast-forward-on-the-remote rush that has ended in (ho-hum) ordinary. Back to life, back to reality.

 {Photo credit: here}
  
Last night, in a last-ditch attempt to savor the do-nothing-but-laze-around beauty of vacation before heading back to work today, I finally saw The King's Speech. I know, I know. Way behind on that one. Needless to say, I loved it. My only complaint is that I spent so much time squinting at Mrs. Logue going "I know her from somewhere..." only to discover it was Jennifer Ehle, aka Elizabeth Bennett to Colin Firth's Darcy. Duh.

{Photo credit: here}

Beyond the glamorous period fashions and swoon-worthy interiors, the movie holds deeper messages about family obligations, personal identity, class differences, and the power of friendship. But what I found most moving and personally relevant was King George VI's (Colin Firth) journey from self-doubt to confidence, and from meekly following to commanding leadership. At one point in the movie, he shouts, "Because I have a right to be heard. I have a voice!" How comforting to know that even future kings have times of self-doubt, not assured in their identity or importance, or even relevance. And even more comforting to be reminded that everyone does have a voice, and a right to be heard.

Have you seen the movie? What message did you take away from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...