November 4, 2011

Kissing My 'Early Twenties' Goodbye

In about an hour, the clock will strike November 5th, and I will be 24 years old, and firmly in my 'mid-twenties'. Which sounds so crazy grown-up and sophisticated, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the same old me. The me that wishes I was cooler, hotter, taller, less awkward, more fun, and that I didn't feel like a total dork every time I stepped out the door.  (Sidenote: I'm currently crushing on 30 Rock, and while I find all the self-deprecating humor regarding Liz Lemon's lame-ness hilarious, it also makes me secretly afraid that a decade will go by, and I'll still be crippled by my lack of confidence and the feeling that I'm always going to be, just, not cool.)

I know what you're thinking...I'm thinking it, too. Boo hoo. Life is too short for excuses. I'm turning 24 tomorrow, and still preaching the same woes I had back in high school. Is that going to be my life? Well, sure, maybe I will be socially awkward forever. But there are certain things I can control. I wanna be hotter? Well, I should go to the gym more. And eat less cake. More fun? Well, for starters, don't spend every night in front of the TV. On a sidenote, writing an online dating profile (and browsing others') is very enlightening. I wouldn't want to date me. So why am I okay living life like this, day after day, thinking it's the only way to live?

So, here are my Resolutions for 24. My rules to live by for the next year, to ensure it's better than the last.

& Be committed to my fitness. Go to the gym at least three times a week. Watch what I eat.
& Go out more. Organize events with friends, or go to a meetup. Also, be less afraid to do things by myself.
& Get back into the dating scene. Not because I'm really out to snag a boyfriend, but because I need to learn how.

There's the short list for now. Not rocket science, but things that I had not been fully committed to until now. Here's to making 24 the best year yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...