June 10, 2013

On My Bookshelf: Outlander


Embarrassing not-so-secret: when I'm interested in a movie, TV series, or book, I tend to go all the way. As a fifth grader, the top drawer of my dresser was stuffed with Star Wars paperbacks. When  Veronica Mars was on the air, I read every good fanfiction I could get my hands on. And when Mindy and Danny's unresolved sexual tension reached an all-time high on The Mindy Project, I gushed over GIFs capturing their special moments.

So it's no surprise that when I finally picked up a book that had been recommended to me by a friend, intrigued by the promise of time travel and romance and the gosh darn Scottish Highlands, it wasn't long before I was hooked. Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, is the first in a series that began over twenty years ago, and is still going strong. The first book centers around an English woman, Claire, who inadvertently travels back in time from the 1940s to the 1740s, and falls headfirst into the Scottish Highlands. I'll admit, it took a little while for me to get into the book, but it didn't take long before I was reading it obsessively, every second I had the chance. (It didn't hurt that things got steamy between Claire and a- well, I don't want to give anything away!)

I just finished the second book, and have the third one on hold at the library. It's a good thing I have to wait between books, or else I would be tearing through them at great detriment to things like, uh, work. The series has been around for a while, so there's a good chance you've already heard of it. But if you haven't, and you have an interest in great writing, history, and hunky love interests (who doesn't?), you should consider giving this book a try.

Have you read any good books lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...